Thursday, October 6, 2011

Famous Letters: WBC

I have decided to indeed start my "Famous Letters" series that I talked about in my post yesterday. I actually was not going to start out the series by writing to the Westboro Church, but since I've read two Facebook statuses involving them today, I decided to look them up. I knew who they were (obviously...they make themselves well known and have actually been in the town in which I was raised), but I didn't quite know everything that their little establishment was all about other than protesting against homosexuals and American soldiers (both of which irk me to no end. I could literally cry from both anger and sadness from their ignorance because of this).  Back to looking them up, I type in "westboro church" in my address bar and their website godhatesfags.com pops up. I could literally spend hours ranting about that alone, but I won't. Anyway, I have decided to email them and not send a letter. They would probably come to my house and stand outside of it for hours shouting about how I'm going to hell because I wrote on paper and I'm sure paper promotes/encourages homosexuality. Anyway, I was looking through their "GodSmack" blog and I just could NOT hold it in anymore. I want to know where they are getting their ideas. Read this, please. It's one of their "GodSmacks"...


Catholic Girl’s Silly Idols

AMAZING!  CATHOLIC CHURCH IN NEBRASKA DEFENDS GIRLS RIGHT OF RELIGIOUS FREEDOM AND EXPRESSION!
A 12-year-old was banned from wearing her rosary idol at school because gangs had adopted the rosary as their symbol.  “I’m wearing a cross necklace, a cross T-shirt and a cross bracelet.  I’m thinking of how Jesus died on the cross and how he gave up all his sins for us.”  WTF!?!  Omaha Archdiocese said, “the corruption of something as beloved as the rosary disgusts the church.”
[T]hey are mad upon their idols.  (Jer. 50:38.)
GodSmack!
These are they who put WBC on trial for standing on the Doomed american flag. 
How shall I pardon thee for this? thy children have forsaken me, and sworn by them that are no gods:  … Shall I not visit for these things? saith the LORD: and shall not my soul be avenged on such a nation as this?  (Jer. 5:7&9).
I love how it says "WTF?!" in the middle of this post. That is very professional. I love how in their contact us it says that they won't respond to profanity and yet they use it themselves. Guess what, WBC, "what the fuck" is profanity. Okay, I just read their "About Us" page and I am literally crying. I have a bloody nose. I cannot tell you that last time that I got a bloody nose, but I can't help but feel like it was meant to get me away from my computer to not send this letter. I highly doubt that it will be responded to, but if it does then it should be a doozie! Okay here it is:
Dear WBC,
Just as a background, I am a 20-year-old student at Purdue University. I have been struggling with God for about a year (or two) now and I have some questions. I know that personal messages are not guaranteed, but if you do happen to respond, I would like to keep it confidential. If that is totally not an option then, I'd be okay with a response on your blog. I also apologize in advance in my questions sound "foolish and unlearned." I am curious and genuinely confused and would like to know more about your religion.

My first question: Do you consider your religion to be of the Christian faith? I wasn't quite sure since your denomination is Baptist which is of the Christian faith, but some of your beliefs by definition aren't Christian. If you do consider yourself a part of Christianity, I have more questions. I thought that Christianity was supposed to be the safe-haven. The place where people could go without being condemned. Where they could be loved. I don't find that here and it makes me scared.

Second question: Is God really hateful? I was always taught that God is love. I noticed that most of your supporting verses are from the Old Testament where God was more wrathful than He was in the New Testament. Does your religion not believe in John 3:16 and 17? Both of those verses seem to go against a lot of your ideology wherein God is Hate and that He wants to condemn the world. I can't help but see similarities between your god and the god of Islam where Allah is very angry and wrathful.

Third question: Jesus is part of the Bible, but I didn't read anywhere on your "About Us" page that said anything about believing that He is the Son of God. Do you not believe in Jesus being the Christ? Jesus' teachings were all about following his example. Loving everyone and not judging people were part of these examples. These topics also contradict your beliefs. Does this mean that God contradicts Himself? How does that make your religion any different than the other contradicting religions in the world?

Fourth question: Is your religion only based on sexual impurities?

Fifth question: Why do you use so many ellipses in your Bible quotes?

Thank you for your time. I apologize again if any of my questions were offensive.
Love,
Kristina

1 comment:

  1. No update yet? Though, from watching a documentary on them I can almost answer the letter for them and be really accurate I'm betting. :)

    ReplyDelete